Wikipidia:Vilij skwier

Fram Wikipidia
Di vilij (tong) skwier

Please replace this line with an explanation, in Jamaican Patois, of what this page is for.

Title of this page[change up di source]

I've been a bit impulsive and created this page following this brief discussion. Comment here if you want to discuss moving this to a different page title. - dcljr (talk)‎ 03:39, 22 Juun 2016 (EST)

This page added to {{General discussion}}, and therefore to Wikipidia:Komiuniti puotal. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 17:04, 23 Juun 2016 (EST)

Namespace prefixes[change up di source]

I'm creating a bunch of "threads" here that should probably eventually be split off to dedicated project pages (e.g., "guideline" or "policy" pages) once some degree of initial consensus is reached about them.

First off, namespaces. Here are the current namespace prefixes actually in use on this wiki (meaning, this is what you have to use when forming a [[wikilink]] to any page outside of the main ["article"] namespace). Also listed are the labels used for the "page tab" (leftmost tab shown at the top of every page [when using the Vector skin]) for pages in each namespace.

Namespace prefixes and page-tab labels (bold items have not been translated)
Index Canonical (en) prefix Local (jam) prefix Label (jam) for page tab Notes
−2 Media Media "virtual" namespace enabling direct linking to media files; no associated talk-page namespace, so a Project page can be used to discuss any problems associated with this namesapce; no page tab label required
−1 Special Special Peshal piej "virtual" namespace for various automatically generated pages; no associated talk-page namespace, so one or more Project pages may be created to serve this purpose
0 Piej no prefix required to link to this namespace, typically referred to as the "main" (or "article") namespace
1 Talk Talk Diskoshan note that agreement between the prefix and tab label for talk pages is not necessarily required, as many English Wikimedia wikis use "Talk" for the prefix but use "Discussion" for the tab label
2 User User Yuuza piej
3 User talk User talk Diskoshan
4 Project
Wikipedia
Wikipidia Prajek piej no jam equivalent is needed for the canonical prefix "Project"; the prefix "Wikipidia" is sufficient
5 Project talk
Wikipedia talk
Wikipidia diskoshan Diskoshan while the prefix and tabs don't necessarily need to match, all the prefixes for talk namespaces should match each other
6 File
Image
File Fail no jam equivalent is needed for the canonical alternative prefix "Image"
7 File talk
Image talk
File talk Diskoshan
8 MediaWiki MediaWiki Mechiz "MediaWiki" prefix probably doesn't need translation
9 MediaWiki talk MediaWiki talk Diskoshan
10 Template Template Templit
11 Template talk Template talk Diskoshan
12 Help Help Elp piej
13 Help talk Help talk Diskoshan
14 Category Category Kiatigari
15 Category talk Category talk Diskoshan
100 Portal Puotal Puotal custom namespace
101 Portal talk Puotal diskoshan Diskoshan custom namespace
828 Module Module Module custom namespace used by the Scribunto extension
829 Module talk Module talk Diskoshan custom namespace used by the Scribunto extension
2300 Gadget Gadget Gadget custom namespace used by the Gadgets extension
2301 Gadget talk Gadget talk Diskoshan custom namespace used by the Gadgets extension
2302 Gadget definition Gadget definition Gadget definition custom namespace used by the Gadgets extension
2303 Gadget definition talk Gadget definition talk Diskoshan custom namespace used by the Gadgets extension
2600 Topic Topic Topic custom namespace used by the Flow extension

Note that the tab labels are linked to TranslateWiki, where the "default" values are stored (in the cases where I could find them). They can be overridden on this (or any other) wiki by creating appropriate local "MediaWiki:" pages, but "permanent" changes should be made at TranslateWiki. This allows all users who choose 'jam' as their language (in their user preferences) on any Wikimedia wiki (actually, any MediaWiki wiki) to see these labels, regardless of the local language of the wiki itself (e.g., a Jamaican Patois user of the Sanskrit Wikipedia will see these labels, as will a Jamaican Patois user of the Estonian Wikiquote, etc.).

The prefix names are set (and changed) by MediaWiki developers. Changes can be requested by submitting Phabricator tasks (or by asking at TranslateWiki:Support). Even when local prefixes differ from the canonical ones, the canonical (English) prefixes can still be used for namespaces 1–15. (This is not true for the custom namespaces 100 and 101 [not sure about 828 and higher], although English "aliases" can be created that would allow "Portal:" and "Portal talk:" to be used in addition to the local versions, if desired. In fact, multiple such aliases can be created to allow things like "WP:" in place of "Wikipidia:".) - dcljr (talk)‎ 16:24, 22 Juun 2016 (EST)

I leave the general decision in the hands of native speakers, though I'd like to see us moving in the direction of Patois names rather than English names. I would like to establish some namespace aliases (especially WP: and WT:); does that have to go to phabricator? (If so, we probably need to get "community consensus" here for that first.) StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 14:44, 28 Juun 2016 (EST)
Sorry for the late reply: Yes, things like "WP:" and "WT:" presumably require a Phabricator task, as they seem to be specified in InitialiseSettings.php, a (very large) text file maintained by MediaWiki developers (search for "wgNamespaceAliases" in that file). - dcljr (talk)‎ 05:49, 31 Julai 2016 (EST)

Root category[change up di source]

The "root" category (the very top or bottom of the category structure, depending on how you look at it) is currently called Category:!Main category, using a "default" name chosen by the steward who imported the pages from the Incubator. What do we want to call this category? Please note that this will contain subcategories related to both the content of the wiki (encyclopedia articles) and various aspects of the wiki itself (guidelines, policies, maintenance categories, etc. — see the next section). So the name should be chosen with that in mind. - dcljr (talk)‎ 03:39, 22 Juun 2016 (EST)

I see that Category:Mien Piej has started to be used as a kind of root category, but that name should probably be restricted (eventually, anyway) to stuff directly related to the actual Mien Piej of the wiki. - dcljr (talk)‎
I tend to use categories for maintenance more than navigation, myself. I think part of the answer to this question is whether we are creating categories for convenience of maintenance or convenience of navigation. And the answer to that might be different depending on what kind of page we're talking about.
I'm inclined to think there should be a "community" category that includes pages like "Community Portal" and "Village Square". I also agree that eventually the "Main Page" category should be limited to the main page and its templates. It can be a subcategory of something else, like the "community" category. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 14:52, 28 Juun 2016 (EST)

Project category[change up di source]

For the purposes of categorization, there is a major conceptual split between two types of pages on a Wikipedia:

  1. pages in the main namespace(*) constitute the wiki's "subject-matter content" (encyclopedia articles)
  2. pages outside of the main namespace tend to refer to different aspects of the wiki itself: users, wiki-maintainence, templates, help pages, policy/guidelines, etc. (for convenience, I'm using "project" to refer to all such pages, not just those in the "Project:" namespace)
(*) OK, technically the content of a wiki is determined by its "content namespaces", which may be more than just the main namespace, but on this wiki it's just the main namespace.

As a result, there are four basic approaches as to what is put in the root category:

  1. Root contains two major subcategories reflecting the two types of pages.
  2. Root contains one major subcategory to serve as the "content root" and multiple subcategories for different types of project-related pages.
  3. Root contains one major subcategory to serve as the "project root" and multiple subcategories for different types of content pages.
  4. Root contains multiple subcategories for both content and project-related pages.

Opinions about which approach we should take? I guess it depends to some extent on whether we can come up with (sub-) category names that are sufficiently clear as to what they contain… - dcljr (talk)‎ 03:39, 22 Juun 2016 (EST)

Other category issues[change up di source]

Here are some problems I've found with the existing categories:

English

Obviously, English names should be translated into the local language. Here are two that haven't been done yet. Note that changes like this require "manual" recategorizing of all the pages in the "source" category into the "target" category. (Category redirects "don't work" – see next item.)

Redirects

The "#REDIRECT" mechanism doesn't work for categories the way it does for templates (i.e., the two names don't become equivalent). Pages still appear in the "source" category and not the "target" category. For this reason, category redirects should probably be avoided as much as possible. (I would recommend deleting the three "source" categories listed above. Although some wikis adopt a different template-based solution — see, e.g., en:Wikipedia:Categories for discussion#Redirecting categories.)

They are still sometimes useful for navigation, including through Cat-A-Lot. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 14:53, 28 Juun 2016 (EST)
Capitalization

First two should be noncontroversial, but I suppose the third is debatable. I say rename all as indicated.

Plurals

Similar to move of Category:Vijual aats to Category:Vijual aat, as has already been done.

Punctuation

Probably should avoid use of colons in category names. (Note: This change should only require editing Template:Nesiseri aatikl.)

Some wikis use "Wikipedia:" category names for categories concerning project infrastructure. I'm ok with that. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 14:55, 28 Juun 2016 (EST)
Spelling

I'm sure there are other spelling issues in the existing categories, but I can't find them since I'm not familiar with Jamaican Patois.

Note that many similar problems exist among "wanted" categories (categories that are linked to but haven't actually been created yet). For the most part, I'm going to let others deal with those issues. Notice, BTW, that only 16 of these "redlink" categories are linked to from multiple articles; the remaining 92 are only linked to from one article (almost always the article with the same name as the category). - dcljr (talk)‎ 16:07, 22 Juun 2016 (EST)

User language categories[change up di source]

Similarly, I think we need to have Babel categories turned on. (This requires a phabricator, as I recall.) It would be very helpful to know who here (besides the incomparable Yocahuna) is expert enough to help the rest of us with language issues. In this light, maybe we should fix a definition of jam-5 as "expert at the Cassidy/UWI orthography system". StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 17:10, 23 Juun 2016 (EST)

Yes, apparently Phabricator is required to "turn on" Babel categories (see "wmgBabelCategoryNames" — and other instances of "Babel" — in InitialiseSettings.php). FWIW, I have no problem with either of your suggestions here. - dcljr (talk)‎ 06:14, 31 Julai 2016 (EST)

Compact Language Links enabled in this wiki today[change up di source]

This message was copied from Talk:Mien Piej. We are trying to establish this page as the "village pump" or "Café" or "Bistro" page of this wiki. We request mass mailers to use this page. Thank you. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 14:29, 28 Juun 2016 (EST)


Please help translate to your language

Screenshot of Compact Language Links interlanguage list

Compact Language Links has been available as a beta-feature on all Wikimedia wikis since 2014. With compact language links enabled, users are shown a much shorter list of languages on the interlanguage link section of an article (see image). Based on several factors, this shorter list of languages is expected to be more relevant for them and valuable for finding similar content in a language known to them. More information about compact language links can be found in the documentation.

From today onwards, compact language links has been enabled as the default listing of interlanguage links on this wiki. However, using the button at the bottom, you will be able to see a longer list of all the languages the article has been written in. The setting for this compact list can be changed by using the checkbox under User Preferences -> Appearance -> Languages

The compact language links feature has been tested extensively by the Wikimedia Language team, which developed it. However, in case there are any problems or other feedback please let us know on the project talk page. It is to be noted that on some wikis the presence of an existing older gadget that was used for a similar purpose may cause an interference for compact language list. We would like to bring this to the attention of the admins of this wiki. Full details are on this phabricator ticket (in English).

This message could only be written in English. We will really appreciate if this message can be translated for other users of this wiki. Thank you. On behalf of the Wikimedia Language team: --Runa Bhattacharjee (WMF) (talk)‎ 02:07, 24 Juun 2016 (EST)

End of copied message

Following two items were manually copied. Still working on updating mailing lists. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 12:16, 5 Julai 2016 (EST)

Editing News #2—2016[change up di source]

m:User:Elitre (WMF), 17:20 3 Jul 2016 (UTC)

Open call for Project Grants[change up di source]

Please help translate to your language:

Greetings! The Project Grants program is accepting proposals from July 1st to August 2nd to fund new tools, research, offline outreach (including editathon series, workshops, etc), online organizing (including contests), and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers.
Whether you need a small or large amount of funds, Project Grants can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.
Also accepting candidates to join the Project Grants Committee through July 15.
With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) 15:25 5 Jul 2016 (UTC)

Katxis: Administrator status up for renewal[change up di source]

Administrators here must have their rights renewed periodically. Katxis's rights are currently up for expiration or renewal. Please see Wikipidia:Vuotin piej#Adminischrieta. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 10:20, 9 Aagos 2016 (EST)

Closed as successful (6 month renewal). See link above. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 08:19, 19 Aagos 2016 (EST)

Wha mek unu spel di piipl niem so?[change up di source]

Ok, so trying to get my head around why "dis ya langgwij spel so". I have some questions

  • place and people's names - why are some translated into "Jumeikan" whilst others remain in standard English. Maakos Mozaya Giaavi an Luwiiz Benit - uu niem so?
  • also, why do some articles retain the grammar and syntax of standard English. As someone who is very familiar with spoken Patwah, this makes it very difficult to read.

Eartha78 (talk)‎ 08:06, 19 Aagos 2016 (EST)

Thanks for your interest. The writing system used by the various editors is based on Cassidy orthography which is the closest we have to an official system of writing Patwa. Names are therefore rendered to reproduce the actual sounds. We have not got around to translate them all yet. Some translations of articles are better than others, reflecting the relative skill and experience of the translator. Would you like to help? Please jump in. --Yocahuna (talk)‎ 05:48, 20 Aagos 2016 (EST)
Ok, but surely the article name should be Marcus Garvey rather than Maakos Giaavi, with the Patwah spelling in the lede of the article? Or at least a redirect from Marcus Garvey. Johann Sebastian Bach haf im niem spel koreck, whaappen tu The Right Honorable Marcus Moziah Garvey? I've been trying to read more of Carolyn Cooper's articles wi riit inna 'Prapa-Prapa' - she keeps the original spelling of proper nouns and titles.
Once I get to grips with the Cassidy writing system I'd be happy to contribute. Can you recommend any online resources for familiarising myself with the spelling? Or example of articles that you deem good quality in both syntax and vocalbulary. I'd like to avoid writing in Jamaican English with Patwah spelling. Thanks! Eartha78 (talk)‎ 12:23, 20 Aagos 2016 (EST)
A good place to start is http://www.jumieka.com --Yocahuna (talk)‎ 06:17, 22 Aagos 2016 (EST)
And, if you haven't seen it yet, Help:Jumiekan Patwa spelling policy. - dcljr (talk)‎ 22:20, 22 Aagos 2016 (EST)
But you're also right that we need a redirect, and that the proper spelling needs to appear in the lede. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 09:04, 23 Aagos 2016 (EST)
Done. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 09:08, 23 Aagos 2016 (EST)

New notification when a page is connected to Wikidata[change up di source]

Hello all,

(Please help translate to your language)

The Wikidata development team is about to deploy a new feature on all Wikipedias. It is a new type of notification (via Echo, the notification system you see at the top right of your wiki when you are logged in), that will inform the creator of a page, when this page is connected to a Wikidata item.

You may know that Wikidata provides a centralized system for all the interwikilinks. When a new page is created, it should be connected to the corresponding Wikidata item, by modifying this Wikidata item. With this new notification, editors creating pages will be informed when another editor connects this page to Wikidata.

This feature will be deployed on May 30th on all the Wikipedias, excepting English, French and German. This feature will be disable by default for existing editors, and enabled by default for new editors.

This is the first step of the deployments, the Wikipedias and other Wikimedia projects will follow in the next months.

If you have any question, suggestion, please let me know by pinging me. You can also follow and leave a comment on the Phabricator ticket.

Thanks go to Matěj Suchánek who developed this feature!

Thank you! Lea Lacroix (WMDE) (talk)

Hi, you are invited to participate in the discussion on the proposal to make a banner through m: centralnotice to inform more people around the world about what the Turkish government has done about Wikipedia, ie all the language versions of Wikipedia are You are obscured, so in Turkey it is impossible to view the * .wikipedia.org site. To hope that the Turkish government will remove the block, it is necessary to raise awareness of this fact around the world because it is important to succeed in this mission because Wikipedia can not be seen in Turkey. With this message also for those interested, I invite him to sign the Wikimedian appeal.

If you have any questions or questions do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks best regards. --Samuele2002 (Talk!) 15:59, 28 Mie 2017 (EST)

Wikidata changes now also appear in enhanced recent changes[change up di source]

Hello, and sorry to write this message in English. You can help translating it.

Starting from today, you will be able to display Wikidata changes in both modes of the recent changes and the watchlist.

Read and translate the full message

Thank you! Lea Lacroix (WMDE) 03:33, 29 Juun 2017 (EST)

(wrong target page? you can fix it here)

Improved search in deleted pages archive[change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

During Wikimedia Hackathon 2016, the Discovery team worked on one of the items on the 2015 community wishlist, namely enabling searching the archive of deleted pages. This feature is now ready for production deployment, and will be enabled on all wikis, except Wikidata.

Right now, the feature is behind a feature flag - to use it on your wiki, please go to the Special:Undelete page, and add &fuzzy=1 to the URL, like this: https://test.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AUndelete&fuzzy=1. Then search for the pages you're interested in. There should be more results than before, due to using ElasticSearch indexing (via the CirrusSearch extension).

We plan to enable this improved search by default on all wikis soon (around August 1, 2017). If you have any objections to this - please raise them with the Discovery team via email or on this announcement's discussion page. Like most Mediawiki configuration parameters, the functionality can be configured per wiki. Once the improved search becomes the default, you can still access the old mode using &fuzzy=0 in the URL, like this: https://test.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AUndelete&fuzzy=0

Please note that since Special:Undelete is an admin-only feature, this search capability is also only accessible to wiki admins.

Thank you! CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 13:40, 25 Julai 2017 (EST)

Bot flag request for MABot[change up di source]

Archived to Wikipidia:Vuotin piej/Aakaiv#MABot (bot). StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 07:50, 15 Aagos 2017 (EST)

Galicia 15 - 15 Challenge[change up di source]

Wikipedia:Galicia 15 - 15 Challenge is a public writing competition which will improve improve and translate this list of 15 really important articles into as many languages as possible. Everybody can help in any language to collaborate on writing and/or translating articles related to Galicia. To participate you just need to sign up here. Thank you very much.--Breogan2008 (talk)‎ 09:11, 12 Maach 2018 (EST)

Time to bring embedded maps (‘mapframe’) to most Wikipedias[change up di source]

CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 16:38, 24 Iepril 2018 (EST)

Request for adminship[change up di source]

Hi! I'm requesting for permanent adminship on the Jamaican patois Wikipedia. Currently, there are no Jamaican administrators, and not much users to contribute. I humbly ask for the userright, so I can do admin tasks, such as: move pages, revert vandalism, and get a hold of tools to help contribute and edit effectively to the wiki. Jay Jay Marcus Keize13 (talk)‎

Posted at Wikipidia:Vuotin piej#Jay Jay Marcus Keize13. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 09:20, 15 Mie 2018 (EST)

Hi all! Just a simple question. I'd like to know why when we sign our signatures, the time zone says EST (Eastern Standard Time), and I'm in Jamaica, where it's UTC? --Jay Jay Marcus Keize13 (talk)‎ 18:00, 29 Mie 2018 (EST)

Jamaica's time zone year around is not UTC. It is UTC-5:00, which is the equivalent of US/Canada Eastern Standard Time (not modified for summer time/daylight time). (That's the source of "EST".) This means that it is five hours earlier in Jamaica than in a place where the clocks are on UTC. (In the winter, London is such a place: At noon in London, it would be 7 am in Jamaica.)
It may be that it is more appropriate for the time signature to read "(UTC-5:00)" than "(EST)". It depends whether EST is commonly known terminology there. (In turn, I'd guess that depends on how common US TV is there, and how close the ties are to the Jamaican expatriate community in the US.) If you think you'd want to change this, you'd have to make a proposal on this page.
All the same, though, "EST" is Jamaica time, so the time stamps on this wiki do use Jamaica time. StevenJ81 (talk)‎ 11:07, 1 Juun 2018 (EST)
Oh wow. Thanks for the explanation. -- Jay Jay Marcus Keize13 (talk)‎ 16:13, 1 Juun 2018 (EST)

Update on page issues on mobile web[change up di source]

CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 15:58, 12 Juun 2018 (EST)

Enabling a helpful feature for Template editors[change up di source]

CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 16:28, 6 Aagos 2018 (EST)

Wikidata Bridge: edit Wikidata’s data from Wikipedia infoboxes[change up di source]

Wikipedia Asian Month 2019[change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

Wikipedia Asian Month is back! We wish you all the best of luck for the contest. The basic guidelines of the contest can be found on your local page of Wikipedia Asian Month. For more information, refer to our Meta page for organizers.

Looking forward to meet the next ambassadors for Wikipedia Asian Month 2019!

For additional support for organizing offline event, contact our international team on wiki or on email. We would appreciate the translation of this message in the local language by volunteer translators. Thank you!

Wikipedia Asian Month International Team.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk)‎ 11:57, 31 Aktuoba 2019 (EST)

Extension of Wikipedia Asian Month contest[change up di source]

In consideration of a week-long internet block in Iran, Wikipedia Asian Month 2019 contest has been extended for a week past November. The articles submitted till 7th December 2019, 23:59 UTC will be accepted by the fountain tools of the participating wikis.

Please help us translate and spread this message in your local language.

Wikipedia Asian Month International Team

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk)‎ 09:16, 27 Novemba 2019 (EST)

Wiki Loves Folklore[change up di source]

Hello Folks,

Wiki Loves Love is back again in 2020 iteration as Wiki Loves Folklore from 1 February, 2020 - 29 February, 2020. Join us to celebrate the local cultural heritage of your region with the theme of folklore in the international photography contest at Wikimedia Commons. Images, videos and audios representing different forms of folk cultures and new forms of heritage that haven’t otherwise been documented so far are welcome submissions in Wiki Loves Folklore. Learn more about the contest at Meta-Wiki and Commons.

Kind regards,
Wiki Loves Folklore International Team
— Tulsi Bhagat (contribs | talk)
sent using MediaWiki message delivery (talk)‎ 01:14, 18 Janiweri 2020 (EST)

Global bot policy proposal: invitation to a Meta discussion[change up di source]

Aplauso por los trabajadores de la salud
& Clap for our Carers
& Applaudissements aux fenêtres pendant la pandémie de Covid-19--Dupacifique (talk)‎ 13:19, 5 February 2021 (EST)Reply[reply]

Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 is back![change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

You are humbly invited to participate in the Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 an international photography contest organized on Wikimedia Commons to document folklore and intangible cultural heritage from different regions, including, folk creative activities and many more. It is held every year from the 1st till the 28th of February.

You can help in enriching the folklore documentation on Commons from your region by taking photos, audios, videos, and submitting them in this commons contest.

Please support us in translating the project page and a banner message to help us spread the word in your native language.

Kind regards,

Wiki loves Folklore International Team

MediaWiki message delivery (talk)‎ 08:25, 6 February 2021 (EST)Reply[reply]

Proposal: Set two-letter project shortcuts as alias to project namespace globally[change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

Hello everyone,

I apologize for posting in English. I would like to inform everyone that I created a new global request for comment (GRFC) at Meta Wiki, which may affect your project: m:Requests for comment/Set short project namespace aliases by default globally.

In this GRFC, I propose that two-project shortcuts for project names will become a default alias for the project namespace. For instance, on all Wikipedias, WP will be an alias to the Wikipedia: namespace (and similar for other projects). Full list is available in the GRFC.

This is already the case for Wikivoyages, and many individual projects asked for this alias to be implemented. I believe this makes it easier to access the materials in the project namespace, as well as creating shortcuts like WP:NPOV, as well as helps new projects to use this feature, without having to figure out how to request site configuration changes first.

As far as I can see, Wikipidia currently does not have such an alias set. This means that such an alias will be set for you, if the GRFC is accepted by the global community.

I would like to ask all community members to participate in the request for comment at Meta-Wiki, see m:Requests for comment/Set short project namespace aliases by default globally.

Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions about this proposal.

Best regards,
--Martin Urbanec (talk) 09:12, 18 February 2021 (EST)Reply[reply]

Global bot policy changes[change up di source]

Wiki Loves Folklore is back![change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

You are humbly invited to participate in the Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 an international photography contest organized on Wikimedia Commons to document folklore and intangible cultural heritage from different regions, including, folk creative activities and many more. It is held every year from the 1st till the 28th of February.

You can help in enriching the folklore documentation on Commons from your region by taking photos, audios, videos, and submitting them in this commons contest.

You can also organize a local contest in your country and support us in translating the project pages to help us spread the word in your native language.

Feel free to contact us on our project Talk page if you need any assistance.

Kind regards,

Wiki loves Folklore International Team

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk)‎ 08:15, 9 January 2022 (EST)Reply[reply]

Subscribe to the This Month in Education newsletter - learn from others and share your stories[change up di source]

Dear community members,

Greetings from the EWOC Newsletter team and the education team at Wikimedia Foundation. We are very excited to share that we on tenth years of Education Newsletter (This Month in Education) invite you to join us by subscribing to the newsletter on your talk page or by sharing your activities in the upcoming newsletters. The Wikimedia Education newsletter is a monthly newsletter that collects articles written by community members using Wikimedia projects in education around the world, and it is published by the EWOC Newsletter team in collaboration with the Education team. These stories can bring you new ideas to try, valuable insights about the success and challenges of our community members in running education programs in their context.

If your affiliate/language project is developing its own education initiatives, please remember to take advantage of this newsletter to publish your stories with the wider movement that shares your passion for education. You can submit newsletter articles in your own language or submit bilingual articles for the education newsletter. For the month of January the deadline to submit articles is on the 20th January. We look forward to reading your stories.

Older versions of this newsletter can be found in the complete archive.

More information about the newsletter can be found at Education/Newsletter/About.

For more information, please contact spatnaikTemplate:@wikimedia.org.


About This Month in Education · Subscribe/Unsubscribe · Global message delivery · For the team: ZI Jony (Talk), Friday 6:38, 16 February 2024 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2023 opens in January![change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

Hello

The Community Wishlist Survey (CWS) 2023, which lets contributors propose and vote for tools and improvements, starts next month on Monday, 23 January 2023, at 18:00 UTC and will continue annually.

We are inviting you to share your ideas for technical improvements to our tools and platforms. Long experience in editing or technical skills is not required. If you have ever used our software and thought of an idea to improve it, this is the place to come share those ideas!

The dates for the phases of the Survey will be as follows:

  • Phase 1: Submit, discuss, and revise proposals – Monday, Jan 23, 2023 to Sunday, Feb 6, 2023
  • Phase 2: WMF/Community Tech reviews and organizes proposals – Monday, Jan 30, 2023 to Friday, Feb 10, 2023
  • Phase 3: Vote on proposals – Friday, Feb 10, 2023 to Friday, Feb 24, 2023
  • Phase 4: Results posted – Tuesday, Feb 28, 2023

If you want to start writing out your ideas ahead of the Survey, you can start thinking about your proposals and draft them in the CWS sandbox.

We are grateful to all who participated last year. See you in January 2023!

Thank you! Community Tech, STei (WMF) 07:59, 13 December 2022 (EST)Reply[reply]

[change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

We are really sorry for posting in English

Voting in the Wikimedia sound logo contest has started. From December 6 to 19, 2022, please play a part and help chose the sound that will identify Wikimedia content on audio devices. Learn more on Diff.

The sound logo team is grateful to everyone who participated in this global contest. We received 3,235 submissions from 2,094 participants in 135 countries. We are incredibly grateful to the team of volunteer screeners and the selection committee who, among others, helped bring us to where we are today. It is now up to Wikimedia to choose the Sound Of All Human Knowledge.

Best wishes, Arupako-WMF (talk)‎ 05:13, 16 December 2022 (EST)Reply[reply]

Feminism and Folklore 2023[change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

Dear Wiki Community,

Christmas Greetings and a Happy New Year 2023,

You are humbly invited to organize the Feminism and Folklore 2023 writing competition from February 1, 2023, to March 31, 2023 on your local Wikipedia. This year, Feminism and Folklore will focus on feminism, women's issues, and gender-focused topics for the project, with a Wiki Loves Folklore gender gap focus and a folk culture theme on Wikipedia.

You can help Wikipedia's coverage of folklore from your area by writing or improving articles about things like folk festivals, folk dances, folk music, women and queer folklore figures, folk game athletes, women in mythology, women warriors in folklore, witches and witch hunting, fairy tales, and more. Users can help create new articles, expand or translate from a list of suggested articles.

Organisers are requested to work on the following action items to sign up their communities for the project:

  1. Create a page for the contest on the local wiki.
  2. Set up a fountain tool or dashboard.
  3. Create the local list and mention the timeline and local and international prizes.
  4. Request local admins for site notice.
  5. Link the local page and the fountain/dashboard link on the meta project page.

This year we would be supporting the community's financial aid for Internet and childcare support. This would be provided for the local team including their jury and coordinator team. This support is opt-in and non mandatory. Kindly fill in this Google form and mark a mail to support@wikilovesfolklore.org with the subject line starting as [Stipend] Name or Username/Language. The last date to sign up for internet and childcare aid from our team is 20th of January 2023, We encourage the language coordinators to sign up their community on this link by the 25th of January 2023.

Learn more about the contest and prizes on our project page. Feel free to contact us on our meta talk page or by email us if you need any assistance.

We look forward to your immense coordination.

Thank you and Best wishes,

Feminism and Folklore 2023 International Team

Stay connected  

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk)‎ 05:23, 24 December 2022 (EST)Reply[reply]

Global ban for PlanespotterA320/RespectCE[change up di source]

Per the Global bans policy, I'm informing the project of this request for comment: m:Requests for comment/Global ban for PlanespotterA320 (2) about banning a member from your community. Thank you.--Lemonaka (talk) 21:40, 6 February 2023 (UTC)

Your wiki will be in read only soon[change up di source]

Trizek (WMF) (Reasonin') 16:20, 27 February 2023 (EST)Reply[reply]

Ukraine's Cultural Diplomacy Month 2023: We are back![change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

Hello, dear Wikipedians!

Wikimedia Ukraine, in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine and Ukrainian Institute, has launched the third edition of writing challenge "Ukraine's Cultural Diplomacy Month", which lasts from 1st until 31st March 2023. The campaign is dedicated to famous Ukrainian artists of cinema, music, literature, architecture, design and cultural phenomena of Ukraine that are now part of world heritage. We accept contribution in every language! The most active contesters will receive prizes.

We invite you to take part and help us improve the coverage of Ukrainian culture on Wikipedia in your language! Also, we plan to set up a banner to notify users of the possibility to participate in such a challenge!

ValentynNefedov (WMUA) (talk) 07:58, 1 March 2023 (UTC)

Wikimania 2023 Welcoming Program Submissions[change up di source]

Do you want to host an in-person or virtual session at Wikimania 2023? Maybe a hands-on workshop, a lively discussion, a fun performance, a catchy poster, or a memorable lightning talk? Submissions are open until March 28. The event will have dedicated hybrid blocks, so virtual submissions and pre-recorded content are also welcome. If you have any questions, please join us at an upcoming conversation on March 12 or 19, or reach out by email at wikimania@wikimedia.org or on Telegram. More information on-wiki.

Seeking volunteers for the next step in the Universal Code of Conduct process[change up di source]

Hello,

As follow-up to the message about the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Guidelines by Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Vice Chair, Shani Evenstein Sigalov, I am reaching out about the next steps. I want to bring your attention to the next stage of the Universal Code of Conduct process, which is forming a building committee for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee (U4C). I invite community members with experience and deep interest in community health and governance to nominate themselves to be part of the U4C building committee, which needs people who are:

  • Community members in good standing
  • Knowledgeable about movement community processes, such as, but not limited to, policy drafting, participatory decision making, and application of existing rules and policies on Wikimedia projects
  • Aware and appreciative of the diversity of the movement, such as, but not limited to, languages spoken, identity, geography, and project type
  • Committed to participate for the entire U4C Building Committee period from mid-May - December 2023
  • Comfortable with engaging in difficult, but productive conversations
  • Confidently able to communicate in English

The Building Committee shall consist of volunteer community members, affiliate board or staff, and Wikimedia Foundation staff.

The Universal Code of Conduct has been a process strengthened by the skills and knowledge of the community and I look forward to what the U4C Building Committee creates. If you are interested in joining the Building Committee, please either sign up on the Meta-Wiki page, or contact ucocproject(_AT_)wikimedia.org by May 12, 2023. Read more on Meta-Wiki.

Best regards,

Xeno (WMF) 14:00, 26 April 2023 (EST)Reply[reply]

Global ban proposal for Piermark/House of Yahweh/HoY[change up di source]

Apologies for writing in English. If this is not the proper place to post, please move it somewhere more appropriate. Please help translate to your language There is an on-going discussion about a proposal that Piermark/House of Yahweh/HoY be globally banned from editing all Wikimedia projects. You are invited to participate at Requests for comment/Global ban for Piermark on Meta-Wiki. Thank you! U.T. (reasonin') 07:36, 4 May 2023 (EST)Reply[reply]

Selection of the U4C Building Committee[change up di source]

The next stage in the Universal Code of Conduct process is establishing a Building Committee to create the charter for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee (U4C). The Building Committee has been selected. Read about the members and the work ahead on Meta-wiki.

-- UCoC Project Team, 23:20, 26 May 2023 (EST)

Announcing the new Elections Committee members[change up di source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hello there,

We are glad to announce the new members and advisors of the Elections Committee. The Elections Committee assists with the design and implementation of the process to select Community- and Affiliate-Selected trustees for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. After an open nomination process, the strongest candidates spoke with the Board and four candidates were asked to join the Elections Committee. Four other candidates were asked to participate as advisors.

Thank you to all the community members who submitted their names for consideration. We look forward to working with the Elections Committee in the near future.

On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees,

RamzyM (WMF) 13:00, 28 June 2023 (EST)Reply[reply]

Review the Charter for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee[change up di source]

Hello all,

I am pleased to share the next step in the Universal Code of Conduct work. The Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee (U4C) draft charter is now ready for your review.

The Enforcement Guidelines require a Building Committee form to draft a charter that outlines procedures and details for a global committee to be called the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee (U4C). Over the past few months, the U4C Building Committee worked together as a group to discuss and draft the U4C charter. The U4C Building Committee welcomes feedback about the draft charter now through 22 September 2023. After that date, the U4C Building Committee will revise the charter as needed and a community vote will open shortly afterward.

Join the conversation during the conversation hours or on Meta-wiki.

Best,

RamzyM (WMF), on behalf of the U4C Building Committee, 10:35, 28 August 2023 (EST)Reply[reply]

== Opportunities open for the Affiliations Committee, Ombuds commission, and the Case Review Committee ==[change up di source]

Hi everyone! The Affiliations Committee (AffCom), Ombuds commission (OC), and the Case Review Committee (CRC) are looking for new members. These volunteer groups provide important structural and oversight support for the community and movement. People are encouraged to nominate themselves or encourage others they feel would contribute to these groups to apply. There is more information about the roles of the groups, the skills needed, and the opportunity to apply on the Meta-wiki page.

On behalf of the Committee Support team,

Review and comment on the 2024 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees selection rules package[change up di source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Dear all,

Please review and comment on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees selection rules package from now until 29 October 2023. The selection rules package was based on older versions by the Elections Committee and will be used in the 2024 Board of Trustees selection. Providing your comments now will help them provide a smoother, better Board selection process. More on the Meta-wiki page.

Best,

Katie Chan
Chair of the Elections Committee

20:12, 16 October 2023 (EST)

Do you use Wikidata in Wikimedia sibling projects? Tell us about your experiences[change up di source]

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English.

Hello, the Wikidata for Wikimedia Projects team at Wikimedia Deutschland would like to hear about your experiences using Wikidata in the sibling projects. If you are interested in sharing your opinion and insights, please consider signing up for an interview with us in this Registration form.
Currently, we are only able to conduct interviews in English.

The front page of the form has more details about what the conversation will be like, including how we would compensate you for your time.

For more information, visit our project issue page where you can also share your experiences in written form, without an interview.
We look forward to speaking with you, Danny Benjafield (WMDE) (talk) 08:53, 5 January 2024 (UTC)

Feminism and Folklore 2024[change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

Dear Wiki Community,

You are humbly invited to organize the Feminism and Folklore 2024 writing competition from February 1, 2023, to March 31, 2023 on your local Wikipedia. This year, Feminism and Folklore will focus on feminism, women's issues, and gender-focused topics for the project, with a Wiki Loves Folklore gender gap focus and a folk culture theme on Wikipedia.

You can help Wikipedia's coverage of folklore from your area by writing or improving articles about things like folk festivals, folk dances, folk music, women and queer folklore figures, folk game athletes, women in mythology, women warriors in folklore, witches and witch hunting, fairy tales, and more. Users can help create new articles, expand or translate from a generated list of suggested articles.

Organisers are requested to work on the following action items to sign up their communities for the project:

  1. Create a page for the contest on the local wiki.
  2. Set up a campaign on CampWiz tool.
  3. Create the local list and mention the timeline and local and international prizes.
  4. Request local admins for site notice.
  5. Link the local page and the CampWiz link on the meta project page.

This year, the Wiki Loves Folklore Tech Team has introduced two new tools to enhance support for the campaign. These tools include the Article List Generator by Topic and CampWiz. The Article List Generator by Topic enables users to identify articles on the English Wikipedia that are not present in their native language Wikipedia. Users can customize their selection criteria, and the tool will present a table showcasing the missing articles along with suggested titles. Additionally, users have the option to download the list in both CSV and wikitable formats. Notably, the CampWiz tool will be employed for the project for the first time, empowering users to effectively host the project with a jury. Both tools are now available for use in the campaign. Click here to access these tools

Learn more about the contest and prizes on our project page. Feel free to contact us on our meta talk page or by email us if you need any assistance.

We look forward to your immense coordination.

Thank you and Best wishes,

Feminism and Folklore 2024 International Team

Stay connected  

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk)‎ 02:26, 18 January 2024 (EST)Reply[reply]

Wiki Loves Folklore is back![change up di source]

Please help translate to your language

Dear Wiki Community, You are humbly invited to participate in the Wiki Loves Folklore 2024 an international photography contest organized on Wikimedia Commons to document folklore and intangible cultural heritage from different regions, including, folk creative activities and many more. It is held every year from the 1st till the 31st of March.

You can help in enriching the folklore documentation on Commons from your region by taking photos, audios, videos, and submitting them in this commons contest.

You can also organize a local contest in your country and support us in translating the project pages to help us spread the word in your native language.

Feel free to contact us on our project Talk page if you need any assistance.

Kind regards,

Wiki loves Folklore International Team

-- MediaWiki message delivery (talk)‎ 02:26, 18 January 2024 (EST)Reply[reply]

Vote on the Charter for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee[change up di source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki. Please help translate to your language

Hello all,

I am reaching out to you today to announce that the voting period for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee (U4C) Charter is now open. Community members may cast their vote and provide comments about the charter via SecurePoll now through 2 February 2024. Those of you who voiced your opinions during the development of the UCoC Enforcement Guidelines will find this process familiar.

The current version of the U4C Charter is on Meta-wiki with translations available.

Read the charter, go vote and share this note with others in your community. I can confidently say the U4C Building Committee looks forward to your participation.

On behalf of the UCoC Project team,

RamzyM (WMF) 13:08, 19 January 2024 (EST)Reply[reply]

Last days to vote on the Charter for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee[change up di source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki. Please help translate to your language

Hello all,

I am reaching out to you today to remind you that the voting period for the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee (U4C) charter will close on 2 February 2024. Community members may cast their vote and provide comments about the charter via SecurePoll. Those of you who voiced your opinions during the development of the UCoC Enforcement Guidelines will find this process familiar.

The current version of the U4C charter is on Meta-wiki with translations available.

Read the charter, go vote and share this note with others in your community. I can confidently say the U4C Building Committee looks forward to your participation.

On behalf of the UCoC Project team,

RamzyM (WMF) 12:00, 31 January 2024 (EST)Reply[reply]

Announcing the results of the UCoC Coordinating Committee Charter ratification vote[change up di source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki. Please help translate to your language

Dear all,

Thank you everyone for following the progress of the Universal Code of Conduct. I am writing to you today to announce the outcome of the ratification vote on the Universal Code of Conduct Coordinating Committee Charter. 1746 contributors voted in this ratification vote with 1249 voters supporting the Charter and 420 voters not. The ratification vote process allowed for voters to provide comments about the Charter.

A report of voting statistics and a summary of voter comments will be published on Meta-wiki in the coming weeks.

Please look forward to hearing about the next steps soon.

On behalf of the UCoC Project team,

RamzyM (WMF) 13:23, 12 February 2024 (EST)Reply[reply]

Enabling machine translation support, Section and Content translation tools in your Wikipedia[change up di source]

Hello Jamaican Creole English Wikipedians!

Apologies as this message is not in your language, Please help translate to your language.

The WMF Language team plans to enable the Section and Content translation tools to Jamaican Creole English Wikipedia by default. Also, the team is considering adding machine translation (MT) support with MinT to the tools. MinT may be providing limited support for your language, so we want to make sure it is useful for the community. For this, my team would like members of your community to:

  • Test the machine translation support in a test instance. You can paste multiple pieces of content from different Wikipedia articles and check whether the provided result is a useful starting point for a translation.
  • Give us feedback if the machine translation quality is okay to be on your Wikipedia by default, as an optional service or if it is not useful at all.
  • Let us know if you have any objections to having the Section and Content translation enabled by default in this Wikipedia.

Below is background information about the tools and how you can test them.

Background information

Content Translation has been a successful tool for editors to create content in their language. Since its release in 2015, the tool has aided the translation of more than one million articles across all languages. However, the tool is in beta in Jamaican Creole English Wikipedia, limiting its discoverability and use. Being in beta also blocks enabling the Section translation in your Wikipedia.

Section Translation extends the capabilities of Content Translation to support mobile devices. On mobile, the tool will:

  • Guide you to translate one section at a time to expand existing articles or create new ones
  • Make it easy to transfer knowledge across languages anytime from your mobile device

MinT (Machine in Translation) is a machine translation service hosted in the Wikimedia Infrastructure. It is designed to provide translations from many MT models. The model available for your Wikipedia is the MADLAD-400 open-source translation model.

Our request

The MADLAD-400 MT is available for your Wiki in our test instance. We want you to test it (translate sentences and paragraphs from articles) in our test instance:https://translate.wmcloud.org. Let us know in this thread if the quality of the automatic translation generated is okay to enable it in Jamaican Creole English Wikipedia along with the Section and Content translation tool.

Our plans to enable the tools and the machine translation support

We plan to deploy the tools with the MT support by the 4th of March. If there are no objections from your community, we will deploy them. We want to provide the tools in the way they best serve the community, so we are open to make further adjustments after the deployment based on the experience of the community.

We look forward to getting your feedback in this thread. Thank you!

On behalf of the WMF Language team.

UOzurumba (WMF) (talk)‎ 21:50, 14 February 2024 (EST)Reply[reply]